The firm began as Mitchell/Giurgola Architects, established in Philadelphia in 1958 by Ehrman Mitchell and Romaldo Giurgola. Through progressive design, prominent commissions, and teaching they quickly achieved international recognition for new architecture. Different from stylistic high modernism, their buildings and plans acknowledged the context of their place. In time, the firm opened offices in New York and Australia, while Mr. Giurgola won the American Institute of Architects’ highest honor for design. Their character, values, skill, and accomplishments are reflected in the succeeding firm, MGA Partners - formed in 1990 as the founding principals passed the Philadelphia practice to their younger colleagues there.